From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity.
Principium was Inspired by the iconography of the “holy” and “supernatural”. It was also inspired by “TIME”, namely the possibility of freezing time (turning moving water to stillness) and the appeal of mixing different eras in one single piece.
Principium starts from photos of moving water, frozen in a fraction of second by my camera, and used as a stage for actors traveling in time and concept, from ancient medical, anatomical and natural sciences books and encyclopedias, dating back to the XVI th century, draped in mystical tattoos and covered with fauna and flora. Using the gory images of anatomical manuals, in which our entrails, veins, muscle and bones are revealed, Principium also draws on the concept of “LIFE ETERNAL”, through which the decay of one being is the ground for the birth of others.
The overall feel is that of a magical atmosphere, with elements borrowed from esoterica, astrology and alchemy, creating a surreal environment where the actors, sometimes stripped even of their skin and muscles, bare the principle, the “Principium”, in a celebration of the magic of the human body and conscience and their cosmic connections. Principium draws inspiration from Alchemy, in its several stages and transformative power.
- Calcination which is the identification of the ego process by recognizing and watching the egoistic mental, emotional and physical attributes that bind us.
- Dissolution is the process by which we burn our egoistic pains and fears in fire creating ash, washing away those long held beliefs that joined us with the ego mind.
- Separation is the stage whereby we see ourselves in two parts, the upper conscious higher mind and the lower temporal worldly body. Here we see truth from falsehood because of our new expanded view.
- Conjunction is the point at which we reveal the limitless and infinite greatest of the entire reality. It’s where we find our Path of illumination in the All and see that the gift of growing never ends. Here we begin to climb the ‘Ladder’ of the spiritual ascent and start entering new realms of conscious awareness.
- Putrefaction is the stage at which the anchor of the temporal bodies decays and we’re faced with its shadow. Here we clearly see the attributes that limit our attainment and we face them finally healing and accepting the ‘who we are’ here in this world – joining the upper and lower together.
- Distillation is about embracing a new form of existence connection and revelation that was not available before. This stage is very advanced, it creates within us a sense of true love and All. Here we become embedded into the structure of everything and we see ourselves in others. We ‘Love our Neighbor as Ourselves’ because we truly don’t see a separation any longer, also called the Philosophers Stone.
- Coagulation is the Phoenix rising, the enlightened state of Buddha-hood. This state of Oneness transcends anything that can be explained by words and is the true merging with the Creator Force as One – the Elixir of Immortality.
Each piece contains in itself the Latin text of its own principle – hence Principium.
All the pieces are being produced in high-resolution and will be materialised on a 1m x 1m canvas.
In this series I integrated my previous professional computer graphics and design knowledge into my art, and the best way to describe it is “digital collage” or “digital assemblage”.